Friday, July 4, 2008

Hats Off to my 3 Amigas

“Independence day” what does it really mean ? Most holidays are spent by most people in America celebrating a day off work and gathering with some friends/family. While I am bummed I am not riding a motorcycle to Laughlin to watch fireworks with my sisters in the wind, I am reflecting on the real inter-dependence that I can rejoice in knowing people can be angels. The real heroes are those who express universal peace and brother/sisterhood.
Trips (life) isn’t so much about getting to a certain destination as it is having the adventure and living a story to share. Motorcycles turn any traveling into an adventure. Having people support and understand your needs in a crisis brings grace and bonding to the circumstance banishing stress. My hat’s off to my three sisters who endured such an adventure at Four Corners.

They were in the true spirit of that freedom and adventure sought after in Easy Rider (classic movie). Jett, Carol, and Kaye found themselves far away from easy city life when Kaye broke her ankle at Four Corners. The logistics of: getting a call out, getting to the nearest hospital (then finding out the surgery needed on Kaye couldn’t be done there as that hospital only treats Native Americans), and going back and forth many miles to get the bikes and car, made for what will be a legend now in the motorcycle community. I think they all deserve a purple heart for what they’ve been through and how they stuck together and handled everything. You can read the details in Jett’s blog
( htt://wrongwayjett.blogspot.com ).

Bikers are a breed of people that traditionally behold freedom and are bound to be angels on the asphalt. Old School bikers may seem scary to the average folk but their loyalty to humanity is beyond any political party, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic heritage, etc. And on this Independence Day I wonder if the new riders, those ones that are now acquiring motorcycles in order to save money on gas will realize the nation of nomads and rebels yet heart centered adventurers they are joining on the interstate of interdependence.

PS-- an interesting and thought provoking yahoo group called Biker’s Independent Party has some ideas on freedom and “progressive politics” for our country. You can check it out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bikers_Independent_Party/

PPS- The next blog might be more about actual “hats” so stay tuned-- did Elvis really wear a hat and if so why would he wear a cowboy hat ?

1 comment:

Jett said...

That was beautiful K. Lee!
Indeed, things change and you have to take them as they roll. I often thought of Easy Rider and would motion my hand often to the beauty we encounted - they way he did.

I'll never fortget this - only that I didn't take more pictures.