Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Supersize Me -- the Motorcycle Version ?

No, the title doesn’t mean we’re all getting bigger bikes (although that usually happens after awhile). The caption for this blog is a commentary on the fact that GtG seemed to be going to McDonald’s way more then I could have expected. At the McDonald’s in New Mexico I was really beginning to wonder if the documentary that was being done on us was really a sequel to Morgan Spurlock’s movie Super Size Me.

I know a lot of people make a habit of going to McDonald’s when on the road (or even when not) because it is always fast, easy to find and if you’ve been there before you know what you like there (or got used to something there). All these factors enable you to be more in a comfort zone about being in an unfamiliar territory as you try to stay on course on you trek. I get it...but for me, I’m on the road for adventure and experiencing new places that I cannot see at home.

I can always go to a McDonald’s . Actually I pretty much avoid them as there is nothing there for me except on rare occasion I am traveling with others and they wish to stop there-- then if I’m lucky I get the toy from a happy meal !

What I usually do when I ride alone is ask a local where the closest ethnic joint to eat is.
Nowadays just about every town has a mexican and or chinese restaurant. I really like “mom & pop” places as I like knowing where my money is going. Being self employed I have sympathy for small business owners and I appreciate their hard work and unique recipes, atmosphere, and or getting to meet them in person when I eat at their place.

In Dateline we got such royal treatment because the owner/wife of the place saw a bunch of motorcycle women stumbling in from the extreme heat. She offered to soak all our cooling vests (lightweight guilt vests designed to soak up and hold cold water) and bandanas in cold water for us while we ate lunch. She let us park our bikes on the sidewalk so they could be in the shade. The average corporate chain eatery wouldn’t do such things.

I’d rather give my liver a chance to smile at hospitality then be exposed to the smells and ideas of foods I don’t like. I was vegan for awhile and I really feel that it was ideal in many ways but since I had radiation I’ve been eating some cheese as my body is so depleted from the disease and more so the chemo. It is a tough balance; ideals, the planet, survival needs, comfort cravings, the company of others and all their needs.

Back to Morgan Spurlock, I met him a couple years ago. My yoga school and Complementary Medicine center/clinic ( YogaWell & Institute of Progressive Therapies ) had a booth at the Body-Mind-Spirit Expo ( www.bmse.net ) in San Diego. There were lectures and workshops going on and I was the opening act for Morgan. My colleagues and I gave a workshop on yoga therapy just before Morgan gave the keynote address.

I told Morgan he should do a documentary on motorcycling. I was half kidding. Turns out he and his girlfriend Alex (now wife) ride !

No comments: