Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Road to Roswell-Day 2 part 1

It seemed every time I saw Lilia Saturday night the time for departure kept changing. The last I heard was 8am. In GTG time (the opposite of “dog years”; more akin to space travel where time and space are experienced in a very relative fashion and completely different then on Earth-- which is appropriate since our next destination was Roswell, NM). Not sure when we left but it was well after 8am. It was good riding out of Globe as we went through some rocky yet green mountain roads that wound up and down and around some great canyon views. I road this exact stretch with Sachi when she & I did the ironbutt ride in 2005.
All was well with me until I smelled rain in the air and got a little anxious.

It is monsoon season in NM. I know this because the last time I rode in NM was during my cross country trip of 05 when it rained and hailed on me often (you can read more about that lateron when I post photos and reports from that trip after this thread of GTG is past-- maybe in a couple weeks). I was nervous about getting caught in heavy rain or flash flood in the middle of nowhere and possibly having to ride in the dark and cold.

I think somewhere in Sholow we ended up stopping for lunch...guess where....Mc Donald’s. I really felt like complaining but Lilia pulled out a little toy doll that looked like Yoda and shuffled across the table after being wound up. This gizmo was so amusing to me that it had overridden my frustration about having MickyD’s as a ritual stop. The “happy meal” was actually happy in a token way for me (Lilia gave me the honor of being the toy’s custodian so I put it in my tank bag, in the clear window section so I could see it while riding and smile at how absurd it is for me to feel like a hostage in a place that has “happy meals”.

We get on our way but ended up stopping a few more times that all lasted awhile. We had managed to escape rain but Roswell was still a couple hours away and the day was no longer young. I was worried about nightfall hitting us in the mountain passes and finding ourselves dodging deer as well as wind and a sea of rain. I had a driving need to move on and when I thought I heard Carol say we were staying at the “Best Western” and Jett say that Roswell was straight ahead, I took off channeling my anxiety into being an arrowhead for the rest of the group...that is until rain, wind, darkness and deer did manifest.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You look pretty hot in your biker clothes.

Anonymous said...

So, quilted vests, puffy bandanas, and head scarves turn you on ...better than a happy meal !